Instrumental Music - Audition Registration Process - Year 7, 2021
Pine Rivers State High School has a strong history of excellent performance in the Performing Arts and in particular, Instrumental Music. Students enrolled under an Instrumental Music Scholarships will be required to participate in the school co-curricular instrumental music program for the duration of their enrolment (Year 7-9) at PRSHS.
The school’s enrolment management plan allows for scholarship enrolment in a number of categories. Selection processes and timelines for applications can be found on the school website https://pineriversshs.eq.edu.au/enrolments.
All persons interested in enrolment should read the relevant information.
The Instrumental Music scholarship is open to students who excel on brass and woodwind, orchestral strings and percussion (multi and kit), and is not open to piano, guitar strands or voice. Students enrolled under Instrumental Music Scholarships are required to participate in weekly instrumental music lessons (Year 7- 9) and the school co- curricular instrumental music band program for the duration of their enrolment (Year 7- 9) at PRSHS, and with an expectation of continued participation through to the end of year 12.
From year to year the need for specific instruments for inclusion in the school program may vary, depending on existing music enrolments and the balance of instruments within ensembles. The school therefore has absolute discretionary power to determine in which musical activities, and to which students in a particular activity, it has the capacity to offer assistance and support.
Students applying for entry into Year 7 2021 must identify the AMEB standard they have achieved and in cases where a student has not completed AMEB examinations, the student may submit a reference from a registered and practising Education Queensland Instrumental Music Teacher stipulating the level at which the student is playing at.
Procedures for students wishing to audition:
- Obtain and complete an Expression of Interest for Student Enrolment, Student Enrolment Application and Cultural Scholarships - Instrumental Music Audition Registration Form which are available on the school website.
- Lodge the Expression of Interest for Student Enrolment, Student Enrolment Application (with required documentation) and the Cultural Scholarships - Instrumental Music Audition Registration Form. Ensure copies of Year 5 School Reports for Semesters 1 and 2 and Year 5 NAPLAN report are included.
- Closing date for Cultural Scholarship Instrumental Music applications is Friday 29 May 2020. Applications received after this date will not be considered.
- The Scholarship Enrolment Fee of $30 must be paid on lodgement of these forms.
- The auditions for students applying for Cultural Scholarship – Instrumental Music will be held on Wednesday 10 June 2020, 11.30am – 2.30pm at PRSHS.
Parents will be advised by email or post of the specific time of their child’s audition early in Term 2.
Applicants are required to prepare a work in full that demonstrates their technical and music proficiency (suggested repertoire may come from the advanced workshop material). Sight reading may also be included in the audition process.
Brass and Woodwind/Strings:
Musicians should also be prepared to demonstrate technical work in the form of the following scales: a 2 octave G major scale and a 1 octave A minor scale. Brass, Woodwind and Bass Guitar students must also present a chromatic scale starting on Bb concert pitch and Bb Major (concert pitch).
Applicants are required to prepare a second piece on a different percussion instrument. They should also be prepared to demonstrate technical work such as rudiment stick work.
Parents/students will be notified in writing with regard to the success of their application. (Late June)
Students must have school reports that reflect an ability to cope with the academic demands of the PRSHS curriculum and above average behaviour reports.